geoscience.net logo
+ Resolve Article
+ Follow Us
Follow on FacebookFollow on Facebook
Follow on TwitterFollow on Twitter

+ Translate
+ Subscribe to Site Feed
GeoScience Most Shared ContentMost Shared Content

Peptic ulcer disease in early infancy: clinical presentation and roentgenographic features


, : Peptic ulcer disease in early infancy: clinical presentation and roentgenographic features. Acta Paediatrica Scandinavica 69(6): 753-760

Sixteen infants under 11 wk of age developed documented peptic ulcer disease involving the stomach, duodenum or pylorus during an 8-yr period in a Newborn Intensive Care Unit at the University of Minnesota Hospital, Minneapolis, Minnesota. The precipitous onset of gastrointestinal bleeding and/or perforation commonly associated with ulcer disease in early infancy was present in only 7 (44%) of the 16 patients. The remaining 9 infants (56%) presented with recurrent emesis, a presentation of peptic ulcer disease rarely described in the 1st wk of life. Contrast radiography was used to demonstrate a definite ulcer crate in 13 of these patients. Two had their ulcers diagnosed at surgery and 1 by endoscopy. Radiographic demonstration of pylorospasm and/or gastric retention was often associated with ulcer craters located in the pyloric channel or gastric antrum. Only 2 patients required surgery for massive bleeding and perforation. The remainder were successfully managed medically using orogastric suction, antacids and gradual resumption of milk feedings. There were no deaths within the population attributable to peptic ulcer disease.

US$29.90

PMID: 7211360


Other references

Ferrera, D.A.; Kurz, D.R.; Wilson, P.; Sein Lwyn, C.K.; Lei, L.A., 2001: Three dimensional, low friction vasoocclusive coil, and method of manufacture. The three dimensional, low friction vasoocclusive coil has a distal portion that is three dimensionally shaped, and a proximal portion that is linear or helically shaped. The distal three dimensional portion will form a basket for filling the anat...

Peters T.; Brisson J R.; Bundle D.R., 1990: Conformational analysis of key disaccharide components of brucella a and m antigens. The synthetic .alpha.1,2 and .alpha.1,3 disaccharide methyl glycosides of 4-amino-4,6-dideoxy-D-mannose 1-6 that constitute key structural elements of Brucella A and M antigens were analyzed by 1H and 13C nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. A...

Jaeger, H.J.; Mehring, U.M.; Castañeda, F.; Hasse, F.; Blumhardt, G.; Loehlein, D.; Mathias, K.D., 1996: Sequential transarterial chemoembolization for unresectable advanced hepatocellular carcinoma. The aim of this prospective study was to evaluate the feasibility, safety, and efficacy of sequential transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) for patients with unresectable advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). Twenty-one consecutive patients wi...

Sauer, J., 1958: A corneal debrider. American Journal of Ophthalmology 45(3): 448-448

Pierquin, B.; Baillet, F.; Mueller, W.; Wilson, F., 1976: Semi continuous low rate irradiation by telecobalt. The current status of knowledge regarding low rate telecobalt irradiation does not permit any definitive conclusions. However, it has shown that this technique of irradiation, on condition that it is given in two fractions separated by three weeks...

Rolan, P.; Clarke, C.; Mullins, F.; Terpstra, I.J., 1999: Assessment of potential effects of tamsulosin on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of nicoumalone Are there interactions between Tamsulosin and nicoumalone?. Journal of Urology 161(4 SUPPL ): 235, April

Aronson, S.M., 2015: The ancient vocabulary of medical prescriptions. Rhode Island Medical Journal 97(9): 67-67

Chu, C.Hung.; Shiue, C.Da.; Cheng, H.Wei.; Tseng, M.Lun.; Chiang, H-Pang.; Mansuripur, M.; Tsai, D.Ping., 2010: Laser-induced phase transitions of Ge2Sb2Te5 thin films used in optical and electronic data storage and in thermal lithography. Amorphous thin films of Ge(2)Sb(2)Te(5), sputter-deposited on a ZnS-SiO(2) dielectric layer, are investigated for the purpose of understanding the structural phase-transitions that occur under the influence of tightly-focused laser beams. Selectiv...

Derry, S.; Wiffen, P.; Moore, A., 2016: Topical Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs for Acute Musculoskeletal Pain. Are topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) associated with reduced pain intensity in acute musculoskeletal conditions, but without increased adverse events? When treating musculoskeletal conditions such as sprains, strains, and cont...

Saphir, A.; Stacey, R., 1999: ACHE honors healthcare executive. Rulon Stacey built a five-hospital system in Colorado from foundation of employee trust. Modern Healthcare 29(10): 50, 52-50, 52