geoscience.net logo
+ Resolve Article
+ Follow Us
Follow on FacebookFollow on Facebook
Follow on TwitterFollow on Twitter

+ Translate
+ Subscribe to Site Feed
GeoScience Most Shared ContentMost Shared Content

Incidence of cochlear involvement in hyperbilirubinemic deafness


, : Incidence of cochlear involvement in hyperbilirubinemic deafness. Annals of Otology, Rhinology, and Laryngology 111(11): 1021-1025

Neonatal hyperbilirubinemia remains an important cause of childhood deafness, especially in developing countries. After neonatal hyperbilirubinemia, the auditory neural pathways, cochlea, or both may be affected. In this study, we aimed to determine the incidence of cochlear impairment and the appropriate means of hearing screening in hyperbilirubinemic neonates. A retrospective review of 1,032 pediatric patients with hearing loss revealed 67 cases (6.5%) of severe hyperbilirubinemia in the neonatal period. Thirty of these patients had neonatal hyperbilirubinemia as the single identifiable risk factor for hearing loss. In 26 of 30 cases (87%), otoacoustic emissions (OAEs) were absent, whereas in the remaining 4 cases (13%), robust emissions were detected despite an absent auditory brain stem response (ABR). Auditory screening of newborns with jaundice by OAEs possesses a significant risk of undiagnosed deafness. On the other hand, if the ABR is used as the single means of screening, auditory neuropathic conditions will probably be underlooked. Therefore, we recommend dual screening of hearing by ABR and OAEs in hyperbilirubinemic newborns.

US$19.90

PMID: 12450178

DOI: 10.1177/000348940211101113


Other references

Little, M.; Ludueña, R.F., 1985: Structural differences between brain beta 1- and beta 2-tubulins: implications for microtubule assembly and colchicine binding. Brain beta 1- and beta 2-tubulins are the major and minor beta-tubulin components of chordate brain tissue, respectively. Two cysteines of beta 1, but not beta 2, can be specifically cross-linked with the bifunctional sulfhydryl reagent N,N'-...

Kalela, Erkki K., 1939: Growth of dominant pine and spruce in the Pyrola type of forest. The Pyrola type is characteristic of clay soils of So. Finland, but is of limited extent. It is distinguished from the Oxalis-Myrtillus type by abundance of Pyrola rotundijolia and dominance of Vaccinium vitisidaea over V. myrtillus. Growth of dom...

Fukumori, Y.; Seya, T.; Ohnoki, S.; Shibata, H.; Yamaguchi, H., 1996: X-irradiation does not affect the levels of complement regulatory proteins, CD35 , CD5 and CD59 on concentrated red cells. Vox Sanguinis 71(4): 243-244

Yeh, C-Nan.; Jan, Y-Yin.; Chen, M-Fu., 2003: Adenosquamous carcinoma of the liver: clinicopathologic study of 10 surgically treated cases. This investigation presents the clinical features and outcomes of 10 surgically treated primary adenosquamous carcinomas of the liver (ADS-CCC). Peripheral cholangiocarcinoma (CCC) occurs less frequently than hepatocellular carcinoma in most parts...

Matsumoto, K., 1943: The inherited factor for erythrocyte type in the horse.. THERE are 4 blood groups in the horse, A, AB, AC, and ABC. The expected frequency distribution of the different blood groups according to the Willisch formula is in full agreement with the observed frequency distribution. Therefore, the inheritanc...

Suen, S.Sik.Hung.; Khaw, K.S.; Law, L.Wa.; Sahota, D.Singh.; Lee, S.Wee.Yee.; Lau, T.Kin.; Leung, T.Yeung., 2012: The force applied to successfully turn a foetus during reattempts of external cephalic version is substantially reduced when performed under spinal analgesia. To compare the forces exerted during external cephalic version (ECV) on the maternal abdomen between ( 1 ) the primary attempts performed without spinal analgesia (SA), which failed and ( 2 ) the subsequent reattempts performed under SA. Patients...

Orlowski, J.; Lukasik, S.; Noszczyk, W.; Rykowski, H., 1973: Lesions of the blood vessels as a complication of injuries of the locomotor system. Chirurgia Narzadow Ruchu i Ortopedia Polska 38(1): 1-6

Anonymous, 1978: Root and tuber improvement programme. Studies on cassava mosaic disease include symptom expression, disease development and cultural control. Work on cassava bacterial blight (Xanthomonas manihotis) included distribution, pathogenic variation, biology, epidemiology and resistance scre...

Butow R.A.; Strausberg R.L., 1981: The mitochondrial genome. Lee, C P , G Schatz And G Dallner (Ed ) Mitochondria And Microsomes Xvi+811p Addison-Wesley Publishing Co : Reading, Mass , Usa Illus P67-92

Menzorova, N.I.; Sibirtsev, I.T.; Rasskazov, V.A., 2009: Ribonuclease from the hepatopancreas of the red king crab Paralithodes camtschatica. Three enzyme preparations, two acid and one alkaline RNases, were isolated from the hepatopancreas of the red king crab Paralithodes camtschatica using DEAE-cellulose chromatography and gel chromatography. The alkaline RNase was activated by Mg2+...