geoscience.net logo
+ Resolve Article
+ Follow Us
Follow on FacebookFollow on Facebook
Follow on TwitterFollow on Twitter

+ Translate
+ Subscribe to Site Feed
GeoScience Most Shared ContentMost Shared Content

Effect of type of atrial fibrillation on prognosis in acute myocardial infarction treated invasively


, : Effect of type of atrial fibrillation on prognosis in acute myocardial infarction treated invasively. American Journal of Cardiology 109(12): 1689-1693

To assess the incidence of atrial fibrillation (AF) and the clinical impact of AF types on outcomes in patients with acute myocardial infarction (AMI) treated invasively, we analyzed 2,980 consecutive patients with AMI admitted to our department from 2003 through 2008. Data collected by the insurer were screened to identify patients who died during the median follow-up of 41 months. AF was recognized in 282 patients (9.46%, AF group); the remaining 2,698 patients (90.54%) were free of this arrhythmia (control group). The AF group was divided into 3 subgroups: prehospital paroxysmal AF (n = 92, 3.09%), new-onset AF (n = 109, 3.66%), and permanent AF (n = 81, 2.72%). In-hospital and long-term mortalities were significantly higher (p <0.001 for the 2 comparisons) in the AF than in the control group (14.9% vs 5.3%, 37.2% vs 17.0%, respectively). Long-term mortality was significantly higher (p <0.001 for the 2 comparisons) in the new-onset AF (35.8%) and permanent AF (54.3%) groups than in the control group but did not differ significantly between the prehospital AF and control groups (21.7% vs 17.0%, p = NS). Considering types of arrhythmia separately, only permanent AF (hazard ratio 2.59) was an independent risk factor for death in the studied population. In conclusion, AF occurs in 1 of 10 patients with AMI treated invasively, with nearly equal distributions among prehospital, new-onset, and permanent forms. Although arrhythmia is a marker of worse short- and long-term outcomes, only permanent AF is an independent predictor for death in this population.

US$19.90

PMID: 22440129

DOI: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2012.02.009


Other references

White, A.; Rourke, S.; Berman, S.; Lowenthal, J.P., 1972: Production of high titer eastern equine encephalomyelitis virus and viral antigens in chick embryo suspension cultures. Archiv für die Gesamte Virusforschung 36(1): 13-17

Rowe, G.T.; Rybak-Akimova, E.V.; Caradonna, J.P., 2007: Unraveling the reactive species of a functional non-heme iron monooxygenase model using stopped-flow UV-vis spectroscopy. Low-temperature stopped-flow electronic spectroscopy was utilized to resolve the intermediates formed in the reaction of a diiron(II) compound, Fe2(H2Hbamb)2(N-MeIm)2 (H4HBamb = 2,3-bis(2-hydroxybenzamido)dimethylbutane), 1, with the oxygen atom d...

Clark R.B.; Perkins J.P., 1972: The effect of adenosine on the formation of cyclic amp in cultured human astro cytoma cells. Federation Proceedings 31(2): 513

Fredriksson, Gabriella, 2005: Human-sun bear conflicts in east Kalimantan, Indonesian Borneo. Interviews with farmers (1998-2000) in 5 communities along the edge of the Sungai Wain Protection Forest, East Kalimantan, Indonesian Borneo, indicated that crop damage caused by sun bears (Helarctos malayanus) was higher than normal following the...

Mutter, E.Z.nklusen; Blanchet, J.; Phillips, M., 2010: Ground temperature trends in alpine permafrost. European Conference on Permafrost 3: 268

Ganiev-Sh, G., 1976: Rhaponticum nanum in the tashkent alatau ussr. In the area of the Tashkent Alatau [USSR], R. nanum is found only on the Chatkal'skiy Khrebet (2700 m altitude). Due to its rare growth under natural conditions, its use as source of ecdysone is not advisable. Tests on possible artificial cul...

Anonymous, 2016: Spotlights on our sister journals: Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 28/2016. Angewandte Chemie 55(28): 7884-7887

Devendra Kumar; Minhas, J.S., 2001: Effect of calcium nitrate as foliar nutrient on potato crop grown under heat stress. Effect of calcium nitrate as foliar nutrient on potato was evaluated in six cultivars (Kufri Ashoka, Kufri Bahar, Kufri Pukhraj, Kufri Chipsona-1, Kufri Chipsona-2 and Desiree) and nine advanced hybrids (HT/92-418, HT/92-445, HT/92-499, HT/92-621,...

Restivo K.M.; Weinstock M.S.; Reidenberg M.M., 1989: Hypothermia in emergency room patients. Clinical Research 37(2): 324A

Salzman, C.; Goldenberg, I.; Bruce, S.E.; Keller, M.B., 2001: Pharmacologic treatment of anxiety disorders in 1989 versus 1996: results from the Harvard/Brown anxiety disorders research program. Objective: This article reports on the pharmacologic treatment of patients diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) enrolled in a naturalistic long-term study of anxiety disorders, with enrollment in 1989 through 1991 and follow-up in 199...