geoscience.net logo
+ Resolve Article
+ Follow Us
Follow on FacebookFollow on Facebook
Follow on TwitterFollow on Twitter

+ Translate
+ Subscribe to Site Feed
GeoScience Most Shared ContentMost Shared Content

The effect of intravascular blood transfusion on the flow velocity waveform of the portal venous system of the anemic fetus


, : The effect of intravascular blood transfusion on the flow velocity waveform of the portal venous system of the anemic fetus. Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 10(5): 333-337

Our objective was to assess flow velocity waveforms of the portal venous system of the anemic fetus prior to and immediately following intravascular transfusion. Color-guided pulsed Doppler was used to obtain flow velocity waveforms from the fetal portal vein in 14 anemic fetuses that were transfused in utero for rhesus alloimmunization The portal vein velocity pattern was defined as continuous when no change in velocity during the cardiac cycle was noted. It was defined as pulsatile when a deflection of the wave was present. The flow velocity waveforms were quantified by using the ratio between the peak (highest, H) and the nadir (lowest, L) velocities (H/L ratio). Fourteen intravascular transfusions were performed. Gestational age ranged from 19.5 to 35 weeks (mean +/- SD, 26.7 +/- 5.3 weeks). The hematocrit ranged from 5.9 to 31.2% (mean +/- SD, 20.3 +/- 9%) prior to transfusion; after transfusion it was between 24.8 and 56.7% (mean +/- SD, 42 +/- 10.4%). In six cases (43%) the waveforms were pulsatile prior to transfusion; in the other eight (57%) they were continuous. The pulsatile pattern was present following transfusion in 13 cases (93%, p < 0.05). The mean of the H/L ratio was 1.3 +/- 0.38 prior to transfusion and 2.0 +/- 0.86 after transfusion (p < 0.05). Because the portal vein has continuous non-pulsatile flow in the normal fetus, the presence of pulsatility in the waves of six anemic fetuses (43%) may suggest portal hypertension. Compared to normal fetuses, there was an increased number of cases with pulsation, and even more so after transfusion. The pattern corresponds to findings in children with portal hypertension.

US$19.90

PMID: 9444047

DOI: 10.1046/j.1469-0705.1997.10050333.x


Other references

Figura, V., 1961: Present knowledge on the use of radiosotopes and ionizing radiations in entomology. Nuovi Annali D'igiene E Microbiologia 12: 156-170

Handschu, S.S., 1973: Profile of the nurse's aide. Expanding her role as psycho-social companion to the nursing home resident. Gerontologist 13(3): 315-317

Lugo-Olivieri, C.H.; Schwartzman, G.J.; Beall, D.P.; Lima, J.A.; Fishman, E.K., 1999: Intrapericardial bronchogenic cyst: assessment with magnetic resonance imaging and transesophageal echocardiography. Clinical Imaging 23(2): 81-84

Patil, B.S.; Dean, B.B., 1996: Evaluation of flavor and potential anticancer properties of fall onions. Hortscience 31(4): 596

Montlezun, de., 1905: Hybrides d'un pigeon bleu barre et d'une tourterelle nankin a collier noir. Toulouse Bul Soc Sci Nat, 38 43-45

Radema, L.D.jk, R.V.n, 1973: Controlling the metallic flavor sour cream buttermilk. Officieel orgaan: 65 (31) 730-732

Wu, I.J.un Tom; Wheeler, G.L.; Huang, F.H., 1998: In vitro germination of native terrestrial orchids. Hortscience 33(4): 595, July

Roberts J.E.Sr, 1980: Control of the potato leafhopper in virginia usa 1979. Virginia Journal Of Science: 82

Karlsson Norrgren, L., 1985: Cadmium and aluminium in fish: body distribution and morphological effects. In fish exposed to water polluted by cadmium and aluminium, these elements accumulated chiefly in the gills. Changes in gill structure are described in detail. Aluminium was also transported to bone and kidney. Cadmium appeared in liver, kidney an...

Halvankar G.B.; Patil V.P., 1990: Inter specific variation in the karyotypes of the genus glycine willd. Karyotype analysis of six species of genus Glycine indicated chromosome number to be 2n = 40 in G. canescens, G. clandestina, G. latifolia, G. max cultivars Monetta and MACS-13 and 2n = 80 in G. tabacina and G. tomentella. Tetraploid species (2n =...