geoscience.net logo
+ Resolve Article
+ Follow Us
Follow on FacebookFollow on Facebook
Follow on TwitterFollow on Twitter

+ Translate
+ Subscribe to Site Feed
GeoScience Most Shared ContentMost Shared Content

Primary cardiac and pericardial tumors


, : Primary cardiac and pericardial tumors. Boletin de la Asociacion Medica de Puerto Rico 100(4): 48-54

Primary cardiac tumors are rare, with a reported prevalence of 0.001 to 0.03% at autopsy series. Almost 75% of all primary tumors of the heart are benign, with primary malignant tumors accounting for the other 25%. Nearly half of the benign cardiac tumors are myxomas. Other primary tumors include papillary fibroelastoma, rhabdomyoma, fibroma, lipoma and hemangioma. In this review article, the clinical, pathologic and diagnostic feature of primary benign cardiac tumors is presented. In very rare occasions malignant tumors of the heart could be encounter such as primary sarcomas of the heart constituting less than 25% of primary cardiac tumors found in clinical practice. Cardiac sarcomas represent the commonest histology of primary malignant cardiac tumors, with angiosarcomas making up 33% of the cases. Sarcomas are common between the third and fifth decades of life and most frequently affect the right atrium.

US$29.90

PMID: 19400529


Other references

Gravani, Bob, 1984: Meals microbes & you!. Slides, photographs and colorful illustrations are designed for food service personnel. The slides introduce the concept of food sanitation by highlighting such topics as the importance of safe food preparation, handling, and storage. The role of...

Hollands, I.; Mandado, S.; Dominguez, C., 1991: Ultrastructural demonstration of the cytohepatic protective effect of propolis. An electron microscope study was conducted on the ultrastructural characteristics of the liver cells of 3 groups of mice, which had received for 3 months either (1) an alcoholic extract of propolis in water, or (2) 96 degrees alochol in water, or...

Hua, S-Che.; Chen, S-Yi.; Lu, C-Hsiang.; Kao, Y-Ting.; Yu, H-I.; Chen, P-Tzu.; Lee, Y-Ray.; Chang, T-Chun., 2010: The effects of growth inhibitory peptide on follicular thyroid cancer cell growth, migration, and invasion. Thyroid cancer is the most common endocrine neoplasm worldwide. Although differentiated thyroid cancers are associated with a favorable survival, the prognosis worsens dramatically for patients with distant metastasis. Metastases from follicular t...

Tsuneyoshi, H.; Oriyanhan, W.; Kanemitsu, H.; Shiina, R.; Nishina, T.; Ikeda, T.; Nishimura, K.; Komeda, M., 2005: Heterotopic transplantation of the failing rat heart as a model of left ventricular mechanical unloading toward recovery. The left ventricular assist device (LVAD) is usually used in patients with end-stage heart failure as a bridge to transplantation. Recently, some studies have reported functional recovery with the use of an LVAD, although the mechanisms responsibl...

Albala, M.M.; Wachtel, T.; Meissner, G.; Williams, D., 1983: Case record: Rhode Island Hospital. A fatal case of disseminated Aspergillus infection with mitral valvulitis and congestive heart failure is reported in a 71-yr-old man with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. Diagnosis was made at autopsy.

Mukai, Y.; Shimokawa, H.; Higashi, M.; Morikawa, K.; Matoba, T.; Hiroki, J.; Kunihiro, I.; Talukder, H.M.A.; Takeshita, A., 2002: Inhibition of renin-angiotensin system ameliorates endothelial dysfunction associated with aging in rats. Objective: Endothelial vasodilator functions are progressively impaired with aging, which may account in part for the increased incidence of cardiovascular events in elderly people. We examined what treatment could ameliorate the endothelial dysfu...

Sehon, C.M., 2014: The analyst's pain. International Journal of Psycho-Analysis 94(6): 1177-1180

Järvenpää, R.; Holli, K.; Pitkänen, M.; Hyödynmaa, S.; Rajala, J.; Lahtela, S-Liisa.; Ojala, A., 2006: Radiological pulmonary findings after breast cancer irradiation: A prospective study. The aim of this study was to evaluate radiation-induced pulmonary abnormalities of breast cancer patients. Altogether 202 consecutive patients receiving postoperative radiotherapy entered the study. Plain chest radiographs taken at entry and 3, 6...

Corring T.; Bourdon D., 1976: Long term influence of ligature of the pancreatic duct upon the apparent digestibility of a diet in the pig. Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology Supplement 11(41): 48

Taberlet, P.; Swenson, J.E.; Sandegren, F.; Bjarvall, A., 1995: Localization of a contact zone between two highly divergent mitochondrial DNA lineages of the brown bear Ursus arctos in Scandinavia. In Europe the brown bear (Ursus arctos) is represented by two different mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) lineages, which probably diverged about 0.85 million years ago. Scandinavia has been colonized by representatives of both lineages, from the north (e...