geoscience.net logo
+ Resolve Article
+ Follow Us
Follow on FacebookFollow on Facebook
Follow on TwitterFollow on Twitter

+ Translate
+ Subscribe to Site Feed
GeoScience Most Shared ContentMost Shared Content

Rapid deconjugation of SN-38 glucuronide and adsorption of released free SN-38 by intestinal microorganisms in rat


, : Rapid deconjugation of SN-38 glucuronide and adsorption of released free SN-38 by intestinal microorganisms in rat. Oncology Letters 3(3): 520-524

One of the dose-limiting toxicities of irinotecan hydrochloride (CPT-11) is delayed-onset diarrhea. CPT-11 is converted to its active metabolite, SN-38, which is conjugated to SN-38 glucuronide (SN-38G). SN-38G excreted in the intestinal lumen is extensively deconjugated by bacterial β-glucuronidase, resulting in the regeneration of SN-38, which causes diarrhea. However, the deconjugation of SN-38G by the intestinal microflora remains to be clarified. This study aimed to investigate the microbial transformation of SN-38G by an anaerobic mixed culture of rat cecal microorganisms. Concentrations of SN-38G and SN-38 were then determined using high-performance liquid chromatography. Complete deconjugation of SN-38G to SN-38 in the mixed cultures was observed within 1 h of incubation, with 62.7% of the added SN-38G being found in the supernatant. Approximately 80.4% of the SN-38 in the supernatant was bound to protein, and the remaining 19.6% was detected as active free SN-38. In total, only 12.3% (19.6 × 62.7%) of the SN-38G added to the test tube was found in the supernatant in the ultrafiltrable free form, indicating that approximately 90% of the SN-38G added to the growth medium either remained adsorbed onto the pelleted fraction or occurred in a protein-bound form in the supernatant. The remaining 10% of the SN-38G added to the growth medium existed in the unbound form, the form capable of causing damage to the intestinal membrane. In conclusion, these results indicated that the greater part of the SN-38 produced from SN-38G by the action of bacterial β-glucuronidase is rapidly adsorbed onto intestinal bacterial cell walls or dietary fibers in pelleted fraction, and only 10% remains in the ultrafiltrable unbound form in the intestinal luminal fluid.

US$19.90

PMID: 22740943

DOI: 10.3892/ol.2011.519


Other references

Bidasee, K.R.; Besch, H.R.Jr; Lyon, M.A.; Jackson, Y.A., 1998: Novel modulators of ryanodine receptors 2-phenyl-4,7-dioxobenzothiazole and analogs. Biophysical Journal 74(2 PART 2): A60, Feb

Egberts, J-Hendrik.; Schniewind, B.; Schafmayer, C.; Kruse, M-Luise.; Sipos, B.; Fändrich, F.; Kalthoff, H.; Tepel, Jürgen., 2007: Establishment of a novel orthotopic xenograft model of human gallbladder carcinoma. Objective Gallbladder cancer is characterized by high morbidity and mortality. An appropriate human xenograft animal model could serve as a research tool to investigate new therapeutic strategies.Summary background data To date, the few reports d...

Redon, H.; Lacour, J., 1955: Pelvectomy. Revue de Chirurgie 74(7-8): 194-220

Nanavaty, M.A.; Wearne, M.J., 2010: Perioperative antibiotic prophylaxis during phaco-emulsification and intraocular lens implantation: national survey of smaller eye units in England. To evaluate the commonest routinely used perioperative antibiotic, the preferred route of administration and the choice of antibiotic in 'penicillin allergy' by consultant ophthalmic surgeons in England. A postal survey was conducted, be...

Vayre, P., 1963: Surgical Aspects Of The Normal And Pathological Function Of The Small Intestine. France Medecine 26: 429-443

Akesson, S.; Bensch, S.; Hedenstrom, A.; Irwin, D.E., 2002: Blowfly Trypocalliphora braueri larvae infestation in Willow Warblers Phylloscopus trochilus breeding in a hybrid zone. We examined the occurrence of blowfly larvae Trypocalliphora braueri in Swedish willow warbler Phylloscopus trochilus nestlings at three nearby breeding sites in Central Sweden. The occurrence of parasites was examined in nestlings by visual inspe...

Schreiber, J.R.; Hsueh, A.J.; Baulieu, E.E., 1983: Binding of the anti-progestin RU-486 to rat ovary steroid receptors. RU-486 is a recently synthesized steroid with anti-progesterone and anti-glucocorticoid properties. Its direct anti-progesterone action on the uterus is believed to be the basis for its ability to induce menstruation and early abortion. RU-486 lik...

Chapman, Harold W., 1956: Continuous growth of excised potato root tips. Excised potato root tips have been continuously cultivated on a medium containing White's nutrients, exclusive of vitamins and glycine, 2% sucrose, 07% agar, and a water extract from 150 g of autoclaved tuber tissue per liter of medium. Diffe...

Paterson, D.L.; Yu, V.L., 1999: Extended-spectrum beta-lactamases: a call for improved detection and control. Clinical Infectious Diseases 29(6): 1419-1422

Polaszek, A.; Khan, Z.R., 1998: Host plants. Polaszek, A [Editor] African cereal stem borers: Economic importance, taxonomy, natural enemies and control 3-10